A complete guide to obtaining a growing licence
On the 24th of August 2016, Health Canada enacted the Access to Cannabis for Medical Purposes Regulations (ACMPR) program. This allows Canadians to legally grow their own or obtain Medical Cannabis after fulfilling the Health Canada requirements. On October 17th, 2018, this program has been rolled into the Cannabis Act.
To read an overview of the ACMPR program, click here.
An individual may apply to obtain Cannabis from a licenced producer, or grow their own.
Here at CannMD, we are focused on assisting those looking to grow their own Cannabis for medical purposes. If you are interested in obtaining product from a licenced producer, the application process is virtually identical.
The steps to obtaining a growing (production) licence are as follows:
- Understand the process. There is an overview guide here that everyone seeking their licence should read.
- Ensure you meet Health Canada’s requirements for possessing, storing, and producing Cannabis. If you do not meet these requirements, it is unlikely we will be able to obtain a licence on your behalf.
- Determine how much you need to grow, based on your daily usage. This may vary greatly based on your method of consumption, eg. dried product, creams, oils, etc., and how you use them. A calculator can be found here, but if you are unsure about this we would be happy to consult with you before proceeding, as a Doctor will not approve a quantity they do not believe you actually need.
- Begin preparation of your registration application form. This is required by all applicants, regardless of whether you are applying for the first time or renewing your existing licence.
- If the site you intend to grow Cannabis is not your usual place of residence and/or you do not own the property, you are also required to complete the section, “Annex A” of the application. If you rent or lease your property, you will need signed permission from the owner.
- A signed medical document is required. At CannMD, we connect you with a team of of Medical Doctors and specialists, and aim to deliver this document to you within 24hrs of your application, assuming your consultation is successfully completed. See our pricing and pay for your consulting package here.
- Gather your documents together: The registration application, signed permission from your site property owner (if applicable), and medical document from CannMD. Send them together to:
Address Locator: 0302B
Ottawa, ON K1A 0K9
Do not begin growing Cannabis until you have received your approved production certificate from Health Canada. Note that CannMD has no control over the speed at which Health Canada will deliver your certificate.
If you have any questions whatsoever, we encourage you to contact us. We’re more than happy to help you at any step of the way.