A complete guide to obtaining a growing licence
On the 24th of August 2016, Health Canada enacted the Access to Cannabis for Medical Purposes Regulations (ACMPR) program. This allows Canadians to legally grow their own Medical Cannabis after fulfilling the Health Canada requirements.
On October 17th, 2018, this program was rolled into the Cannabis Act.
While every Canadian is entitled to grow a small number of Cannabis plants without authorization, some people need more. Why? It may depend on their method of consumption and processing, eg. many medical patients use topical creams, oils, or teas – to treat their medical conditions. This has brought relief to millions of patients in Canada and around the world.
An individual may apply to obtain Cannabis from a licenced producer, grow their own, or authorize someone to grow on their behalf.
Here at CannMD, we are focused on assisting those looking to grow their own Cannabis for Medical Purposes, or to designate someone to grow Cannabis on their behalf.
The steps to obtaining a growing (“production”) licence are as follows:
- Have a solid understanding of the process. There is an overview guide here that everyone seeking their licence should read.
- You’ll need to understand and agree with Health Canada’s requirements for possessing, storing, and producing Cannabis.
- Determine how much you need to grow, based on your daily usage. This may vary greatly based on your method of consumption, eg. dried product, creams, oils, etc., and how you use them. A calculator can be found here, but if you are unsure about this we would be happy to consult with you before proceeding, as a Doctor will not approve a quantity they do not believe you actually need.
- Begin preparation of your registration application form.
Choose the appropriate one for you:
This is required by all applicants, regardless of whether you are applying for the first time or renewing your existing licence.
- If the site you intend to grow Cannabis is not your usual place of residence and/or you do not own the property, you may need to fill an extra section of the application. Please be aware.
- A signed medical document is required. At CannMD, this is the primary service we provide. Our company connects you with a team of Medical Doctors and specialists who aim to deliver this document to you as efficiently as possible.See our pricing and pay for your consulting package here.
- Gather your documents together: The registration application, signed permission from your site property owner (if applicable), and medical document from CannMD. Send them together to:
Access to Cannabis for Medical Purposes Program
Address Locator: 0302B
Ottawa, ON K1A 0K9
Do not begin growing Cannabis until you have received your approved production certificate from Health Canada. Note that CannMD has no control over the speed at which Health Canada will deliver your certificate.
If you have any questions whatsoever, we encourage you to contact us. We’re more than happy to help you at any step of the way.